What I love About Marissa from Roost

It’s been a while since I’ve done one of my “What I Love About” posts but I’m happy to say it’s back! Today I am featuring one of my very best friends from High School. She just started a design blog called Roost and it’s wonderful. I get excited every time she updates it. Marissa has an incredible eye for design and style. She just knows what looks good. She appreciates the little details that make a space or building beautiful. Today she is sharing some of the things she loves with us!
We moved to Charlottesville, Virginia this summer for my husband to
attend graduate school, and I could probably live here forever. I love
the intellectual culture and gentle Southern drawls. I love that the
town shuts down for Cavalier football. I love the beautiful mountains
and trees, and long drives through the Shenandoah Valley and small
country towns. I love the architecture and history.
I also love my apartment, which is weird because it's old and small.
We are not exactly living the high life in student housing. But I love
it because it represents a challenge to me-- a challenge to take an
ugly blank canvas and turn it into home. But mostly, a challenge to be
grateful for and find beauty in what I have now and not just in what I
dream about having someday.

I have been collecting magazine clippings and dreaming of design since
I was in middle school. At the age of 13, my favorite TV shows were a
British design show called "Homefront" and Rachel Ashwell's "Shabby
Chic." My mind has been abuzz with decorating ideas ever since. I've
always been fascinated with using space, light, color, texture,
pattern, and form to create your own world-- art you can live in.

Oh my, I love blogs. What I love most is that they give so many people
the opportunity to share their passions with a larger audience. One of
my long-time favorite blogs is Little Green Notebook. It was one of
the first design blogs I started reading regularly. Jenny's DIY ideas
are so awesome, and her use of color and pattern really inspire me. I
also love Jones Design Company, Nie Nie Dialogues, c jane enjoy it,
and The Sartorialist.

I could pretty much sum up what I love about my life by saying I love
the people around me. I love my husband the most. He really puts the
sparkle into life for me. I love my family, my husband's family, and
all the friends we've made in the different places we've lived. I am
very very blessed.

Gilt frames, pillows (thanks to Kirsten!), and my iPhone. Really, it
has changed my life.

Thanks Riss! Make sure you check out her blog

15 Responses to What I love About Marissa from Roost

1. Hello Lover... Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 11:05 am #

So sweet – beautiful wedding photo!

2. Jeannine @ Small and Chic Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 11:06 am #

No way! Another Charlottesville design blogger?!? I'm so happy there's another one around here!

3. Simply LKJ Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 11:29 am #

Beautiful pictures! Sounds like a wonderful place to spend time.

4. Love Where You LIve Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 12:15 pm #

Such a nice post. Thanks for sharing her comments; she sounds like a person who appreciates all that she has.

5. other-option Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

Where is that amazing chevron pillow from? Love it!
    – Danielle

6. domestikatedlife.com Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 1:38 pm #

Great feature!

7. Jen Schenk Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 1:43 pm #

What great questions! Love these types of features, where we can get to know people better!

8. A Delightful Design Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

Thanks for sharing! I am off to check her blog!
    abby (from abby & her boys–but I started a design blog)

9. Jenny at LGN Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 2:42 pm #

Awww! **blushing**
    Thank you for the sweet words! Can't wait to check out Roost!

xx

10. christine {bijouandboheme} Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

Very sweet and her wedding photo is gorgeous- off to check out her blog:)

11. mandyface Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 7:40 pm #

Lovely post! I feel the same way about my apartment!

12. Sam and Erin Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 8:37 pm #

So awesome! I also love that chevron pillow. Where can I get it?

13. Cocktails and Cupcakes Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 9:06 pm #

Great post! I love reading the Roost and 6th street. You both have incredible style and it naturally makes sense that the two of you would be friends!

14. emily Wednesday, October 27, 2010 at 3:37 am #

sweet! another blog to add to my must read list 🙂

thanks for sharing about her!

15. Simply Brookes Saturday, January 29, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

Congrats, Roost! Love to see that 6th street is diving a little deeper into who you are and what you are about. Great read.

Thanks for sharing.