A Solution for A Fireplace Problem

Last year I did a consult for Emily. She had this awkward hole above her fireplace. These are actually quite common for homes in Utah. I don’t really get it. I think some of them are for televisions?
Emily wasn’t really sure what to do about it. Ideally she wanted a nice mirror above the fireplace but we had a hard time finding one big enough to cover the hole.
After thinking about it for awhile we came up with this solution.
We used board and batten to cover the hole and now she has the freedom to hang whatever she would like above the fireplace. As it should be! And isn’t it amazing what a fresh coat of white paint can do.

47 Responses to A Solution for A Fireplace Problem

1. jamie @ [kreyv] Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 11:06 am #

Wow! What a great makeover, love it! Lots of homeowners are going to love you for this idea. I hate those nooks!

2. Rene Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 11:14 am #

What a great idea! And yes, white paint does wonders.

3. Shelley Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 11:28 am #

What a great idea! It's one of those slap your forehead things – it makes so much sense I can't believe I didn't think of that in our first house. Ok, that's not completely true. I would never say that place was ever decorated, or well thought out, so I'm really not surprised I didn't think to do it 😀

Anywho, it's awesome!!!

Shelley

4. According to Ashley Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 11:39 am #

I have that same awkward hole and for a while, we were super classy and just lined up our DVDs in there – hahaha! Now, it's empty and I try to ignore it. Love this idea, though!

5. Anonymous Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 11:47 am #

Brilliant idea!

6. LukaMish Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 11:56 am #

great idea, and so simple!

7. KellyH Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

What a great Idea! I notice a lot of new construction in the area my family will be moving to has this as well. I'm also not a fan. Will have to remember this! Looks Great!

8. Andrea Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

Great idea. Looks so much more finished now. Love the white paint!

9. Cathy Wall Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

A perfect solution, the end result is fabulous and likely gives the room a whole new look, great job!

Cathy @ Room Rx

10. Jenn Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

great solution. those holes are just silly! the white looks so crisp and clean, very nice job!

11. Amanda Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

What a difference! We have those blasted holes here in TX too! Love this idea.

12. Mary Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

Genius!

13. Chic Coles Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Wow great solution, it looks amazing.

14. traci zeller designs Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

That was genius, Kirsten! I've seen those holes, too … and yep, they were for televisions before flat screens were so common. Why, why, why???? You came up with a great solution!

15. Jessie Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

That's a clever solution, Kirsten! The end result looks beautiful!

Jessie

16. Tara {The Silver Lining} Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

Absolutely brilliant!! I love the fireplace now. I also am not a fan of those nooks and wonder why anyone thinks they are still a good idea. This looks amazing!!!

17. Beatrice @ becado.blogspot.com Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

That looks incredible. What a brilliant idea! I am sure she is quite thrilled with the result. Fantastic!

18. yours truly Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

Soooo much neater! What a great idea. I'm with you, what is with the holes above the mantle? Weird.

19. Leslie Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

That's really amazing; it looks great!

20. Jennifer (Moonpie Dreams) Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

WOW!!! What a clever idea! It looks amazing! Love it!!!

21. page Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

It looks like a completely different room and i love the wall color. Nice job!

22. Cassie {Hi Sugarplum!} Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

Wow — that looks great…and so inventive!!

23. lizziefitz Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

And that is why you get paid the big bucks! Amazing makeover!

24. Anonymous Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

Good idea. Looks great!!

'Please visit our new website http://www.tableandtop.com'

25. Alecia Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

LOVE IT!!! Looks MUCH better…strong work!

26. Courtney {a thoughtful place} Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

I love that treatment. I like how the middle section is the largest one. Smart solution.

27. MEGMAC Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

LOVE IT! White paint & I get along famously, as all the houses where I am come fresh with oak…EVERYTHING! Bleh!

Great idea!!
    Meghan

28. Katie @ covestreetblog Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

Genious! A MILLION times better, it looks fresh and fabulous!

29. Cove and Grey Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

Wow! It doesn't even look like the same fireplace! Great job 🙂

30. Hyphen Interiors Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 4:57 pm #

Great solution! Love it. Turned out great.

31. Holly Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

Perfect solution – I wouldn't have thought of that. And now it gives the owner freedom to display anything. Great job.

32. Jen Kesler Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 6:00 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing this! We just bought a house that has a HUGE funky entertainment center "niche." It is so ugly and this post has definitely pointed me in the right direction to know what to do with it! Thanks!! 🙂

33. Stacy Curran Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

That looks great — perfect solution!
    Stacy

34. Michaela Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

This is such a great solution! Love how it makes the fireplace such a statement and focal point in the room!

35. Sally Rae Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

Looks fabulous!

36. C C & R Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I think that is one of my favorite solutions you have come up with! Seriously, what is with those crazy holes? Love it!

37. Kelly and Jill Burk Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

Okay so I know I am the 37th person to comment the same but… Ditto to the first comment! OMGosh, Amazing!!! And I am one of those home owners with this exact same nook, I can't stand it! My creative juices are flowing after seeing this solution. Huge thank you for sharing! :0)

38. Amelia Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

oooh!!! ditto again! must show the hubs 🙂
    thanks for sharing!

39. J'Anns Boutique Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 10:18 pm #

Looks amazing!

40. secretfashionlove Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm #

I love interior design.

Love S..
    Check out our blog

41. megrobins Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 10:46 pm #

I love, love, love this!!!! Such a great idea! Passing this on to a friend who has a similar issue. Thanks for posting!

Meg

42. Andrea Johnson Friday, August 26, 2011 at 1:54 am #

That looks fantastic!! I deal with those builders "feature" niches all the time and they drive me crazy!!! I'm all about covering them up. Great job!

Andrea

43. Kathy Friday, August 26, 2011 at 1:54 am #

What a great solution! What is the paint color in the room and where is the mirror from?

44. Michelle and Aaron Darais Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

I love this quick change! Your work seriously amazes me, I love it!

45. Jones Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 7:03 pm #

Best. Idea. Ever. I can't tell you how much I hate the random niches that are all over Utah homes. This is an amazing solution!!! Thanks for the great inspiration Kirsten! Chic Rooms

46. Give me money Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 4:46 am #

so nice love it ......

47. Kendra Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 6:15 pm #

Fabulous solution! We have a huge fireplace dilemma too and this is great inspiration! Thanks for sharing… It looks fabulous!
    Kendra @ http://www.joyinourhome.com