E-design Before and After

My cute client Holly came to me with a living room that was in desperate need of some life. It also needed to function as a living room/foyer. She needed some kind of surface for keys and other odds-and-ends.
Here is the before.
She sent me this as her inspiration picture.
via House Beautiful
We both liked the earthiness of the room. We wanted to capture this room but on a much tighter budget.
Here is what I came up with.

We decided to solve the problem of the lack of an entryway by using this nook in her room for a console table. She had another sofa there before because she wanted seating. So we swapped the sofa for two  chairs.  She also painted tone on tone stripes in the nook. This is like a fun little surprise in the room.
Erin made us some beautiful chevron draperies. The ikat pillow is from World Market.
Holly was a dream to work with. This room goes to show that small updates can go far!

24 Responses to E-design Before and After

1. pve design Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 11:25 am #

Love it and would love to see the walls painted a bright yellow or a light cream….
    pve

2. Erica M. Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

Very nice! I love the before and after makeovers.

3. Julienne Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

Love the painted stripe wall.

4. Farah of Legally Stylish Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 1:44 pm #

LOVE the entryway transformation…wow!

5. Simple Dwellings Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

This looks great! You-re right- small details make all the difference! I love what you have chosen for the space.

6. smalltown20something Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Those curtains are amazing! And really the whole space flows so nicely. Love it!

7. White Glam Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Gorgeous and easy design! thanks for the inspiration…

From Portugal,
    Lisete Reis
    White Glam

8. Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

What a great transformation. I love the mix of textiles.

9. Lovin That! Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

What a difference! Love the colours!

10. pam {simple details} Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

You both created an amazing space, so stylish and functional! Great colors and storage idea!

11. amber wallace Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

Lovely difference!

12. Holly Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

I really enjoyed working with you Kirsten, and it was so much fun to work with you to create a room that I love being in and a room that works for me and my family! It was a true pleasure – thanks again!

13. p-l-a-i-d Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

What a great transformation! The two tone painted wall is my favorite part.

14. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 7:46 pm #

Loving the area with the console and chairs. Holly is such a sweetheart, I really enjoy visiting her blog.

15. Lindsay Thursday, December 1, 2011 at 12:26 am #

I just love that entryway – those chairs and the stripes!

16. Meagan + Michael Thursday, December 1, 2011 at 12:30 am #

Can I ask where you got the table lamps?

17. emily@boxwoodclippings.com Thursday, December 1, 2011 at 12:39 am #

Huge difference! That nook looks so fantastic and inviting.

18. Carrie @ Hazardous Design Thursday, December 1, 2011 at 1:40 am #

Wow! Wow! Wow! What a transformation!
    Love the colors, textures, & patterns together 🙂

19. rachel @ Just a Touch of Gray Thursday, December 1, 2011 at 4:57 pm #

Love Holly's living room… love her blog too! Yet another great room transformation! Great job!!

20. Lindsey A. Turner Thursday, December 1, 2011 at 11:54 pm #

Wow! What a huge difference! The after looks amazing!

Lindsey Turner

21. Jenna at Homeslice Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

I love the little "entryway" nook! The red accents really liven up the place! Great job!

22. redesigningsarah.com Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 3:25 am #

Great transformation! I love the dedicated space in the entryway and the pillows are a wonderful combination of colour & pattern!

23. seo Friday, February 3, 2012 at 10:46 am #

very nice

give me money

24. Faizan Monday, February 13, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

Looks lovely but I would have preferred to see it with brilliant white paint!