Gray & Orange Bedroom Before and After!

A few months ago Jenna from Q.A. Design contacted me about helping her with her little boy’s room. Jenna already has really great taste so it was really a matter of creating a concept that she could run with.
Here are the before pictures of the room.

Here is the plan I created for her.
We wanted a fun space that her boy could grow with. This plan introduced great patterns and colors and it’s definitely a room that any age could enjoy.
Here is the after!
The bedding is from West Elm. The roman shades were made by Windows By Melissa using this fabric by Dwell Studio.
The dark orange pillow was made by Erin from Plush Studio. The fish pillow is from Alice Lane
Custom Portrait done by Birds of Ashmae
The funky rug was found at CB2 but has since been discontinued. The gray lamp is from Alice Lane
The whale bookends are from Alice Lane
The turtle is also from Alice Lane. It’s a little box. The shell opens!
Trophies and canister are from Alice Lane. The boots were already owned by Jenna.
The orange frame and dog are from Alice Lane. The elephant print is by Sarah Jane Studios
Car pillow is from Alice Lane
The fox pillow can be found here
I hope you love this room as much as I do. It really was such a fun concept and I hope that her little boy enjoys his room for years to come.

, , ,

74 Responses to Gray & Orange Bedroom Before and After!

1. modern jane Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 11:06 am #

Awesome! What a great space!

2. Ferren Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 11:08 am #

This is an amazing change! You both did a brilliant job. I wish this was my room 😉

Ferren

3. Bernadette {Chic Spaces for Little Faces} Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 11:18 am #

This is one of my favorite boy's rooms!!! What is the wall color?

4. Gaby [The Vault Files] Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 11:58 am #

Absolutely love it! The color combo is so fresh and that rug is stunning!

5. Simply LKJ Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

What a fabulous transformation! I love that the trend in nurseries is going toward making them a bit more grown up so they last.

6. Laurie Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Brilliant! What a great room to grow up in.

7. Simple Dwellings Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

To say this is amazing would be an understatement! I love the color combination and fun elements you came up with! This room is great!

8. Shanna Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

I love it! Cute but not overly so. Boyish but not too masculine. Just perfect!

9. Saudah Saleem Interiors Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

Amazing Kirsten! With the vibrant punch of orange accents and the soft wall color, this room is exciting and soothing all at once. Great job!

10. Britton Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Wow!!! I love the blue and orange combo!! This room looks amazing! You did such a great job!

11. designchic Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

It's adorable…love the color combination, and the stripe comforter is great!!

12. Allison Egan Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

Fantastic!!! I love the bold orange, aqua and gray color palette and all the playful animal accessories! amazing job!
    xo Allison
    Spicer + Bank

13. JWS INTERIORS Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

You can never go wrong with the Expedit bookshelf. I use them in my own home and in client projects. Well done!

Check out my blog 'Affordable Luxury' http://www.jws-interiors.com

14. Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

This is such a cool room! Those pillows and accents are so stinking fun too! I just love Jenna 🙂

15. Hello Lover... Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

So fun! And I notice a bit of an Alice Lane trend!

Check out my first giveaway!

16. Staci Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Darlling bedroom, I love the blues and oranges!

17. Jessie Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

What a transformation! Looks great!

18. Mike Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

Wow! It looks amazing!! Have you consider using custom printed wallpaper in any of the rooms you transform?

Custom wallpaper can add the personal touch that paint can't.

Let me know your thoughts on the subject.

Great work!

19. Kristen Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

sooo cute!

20. nblizek Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Where did the "Mighty Quinn" art work come from?

21. Lauren Clark @ Prudence Design Spot Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

My friend is looking to re-do her sons room and these pictures are a great inspiration – can't wait to show her!!!

22. pam {simple details} Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

Beyond fun! Love the orange paired with gray and your bold accessories are perfect choices!

23. Jenna at Homeslice Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

Crazy how much I love this! Great job both of you! I LOVE the huge scale patterns because they give it so much fun factor- without things getting busy and cluttered.

24. A Delightful Design Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

I think this is my favorite room you've done to date. Love it!
    Abby

25. Jennifer L. Griffin Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Beautiful room that he won't grow out of for years. The accessories are perfect.

26. Mackenzie {Design Darling} Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

Kirsten, you are a decorating genius! Love the gray/orange tempered by light blue walls. Now off to check out Alice Lane!

27. Katie Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Perfect room! I love it! What is the paint color?

28. Leslie Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

This room is great! What I love most about it, is that it looks sophisticated but still whimsical. You did such an amazing job, I'm sure your client and her son will enjoy it for years to come.

29. Dana {Southern Inspired} Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

This room is amazing! I love the fun color combo – perfect for a little boy! And the details couldn't be more perfect! You are so talented, Kristen! 🙂

30. Caitlin Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

One of my favorites yet!

Love all the little details and styling.

31. Farah of Legally Stylish Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

Love the room…it eve looks much bigger! Yes, indeed, the details are amazing and really make the room. Thanks for sharing the before and afters.

32. Nicole Rene Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

You truly are talented at what you do! The before & after is absolutely amazing! I am inspired by your work! I hope that someday when I have a place of my own I can be as creative & talented at making a beautiful home as you are! 🙂 Love your work!

33. katie beth Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

love jenna & love this room!

(and also, thanks for following my little blog. i am a design student @ ldsbc hoping to follow in your determined and successful footsteps!)

thanks for all you do!

xx

34. Holly Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

It's so much fun Kirsten! And probably the most not-so-fun thing in the room is my favorite because I love it so much – the Expedit! It's awesome and would recommend to anyone. Great for storage, great for display, and super sleek. I love the room Kirsten – great work!

35. casey at loft and cottage Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

Kirsten, it's so fresh and fun. I'm loving all the little details and am sooo into the rug.

36. Kristy @ I Design Love Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

Looks awesome I love the light blue with the bright orange! The rug is awesome too. Great job 🙂

Kristy

37. Janelle Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

Love it! Beautiful as always. Where is the rocking chair from?

38. Sarah Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

What a great room! I'll bet the little guy was so excited when he first saw his new digs. I'm also a big fan of the light blue walls with the orange & grey, great choice!

39. Olga@Stardust-Decor&Style Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

I can't believe this is the same room! What a change! And it looks so much bigger now! Great job!

40. Olga@Stardust-Decor&Style Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

I would like to feature this in my blog, with a link back to you of course!
    Hope that's fine with you.
    Love, Olga

41. Ashley Gillett Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

Absolutely love the outcome! I have this same color in my little guy's room paired with orange. <3 it!

42. M.B. Captured Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

This post is beautiful. You are so talented. What a beautiful blog, I am glad I found it. Xx

43. Belinda - Nest Design Studio Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 12:20 am #

Gorgeous! Fun, colourful and not babyish, love it!

44. Cecilia Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 12:53 am #

Great room! Can you tell me what paint color you used on the walls? I want to do a deep pink and robin's-egg-blue color scheme for my 2nd child (girl due in May) and I'd love a color that looks just like this color you used!

45. christine, just bella Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 4:14 am #

Love this! The colour palette and all the little details are fantastic!

46. Lisa @ Cozy Condo Living Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 5:35 am #

Your rooms are always so beautiful. I love this color combo for a boys room. My son would love it as well.

47. Katie Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

Love Love Love!! I almost ordered a similar rocker for my son's nursery and now I wish I had!

48. Jenny @ Spry On The Wall Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

Great job, it's absolutely beautiful!

49. jamie @ [kreyv] Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

LOVE that color combo. Great room!

50. Janey Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

The photo where you have all your ideas & colors. Where can I make one like that?

Beautiful room!

51. Kelley Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

Looooooooooooooooooooooove it!

52. L.A. in the bay Friday, January 6, 2012 at 5:10 am #

oh my gosh, it looks amazing!

53. Stephanie Friday, January 6, 2012 at 5:12 am #

This is a beautifully done room! I am just loving everything you got from Alicelane, that is some store! Great job, and yes, I am sure the room will be loved for many years to come.

54. allegra Friday, January 6, 2012 at 5:42 am #

SOOOOO CUTE!!! That rug is KILLER!! I wish it weren't discontinued. this is my fav little boy room yet. How funny, too… Max totally has that same fox pillow. I was looking for something different and modern and that was one of the first things that caught my eye on etsy… Too bad my fox pillow doesn't look as cute in Max's room as in this room! 🙂 ha ha. Great job Kristen, it's so perfect. Jenna is a lucky ducky!

55. allegra Friday, January 6, 2012 at 5:42 am #

I meant Kirsten, LOL. I was typing too fast.

56. Megan {Splendid Design} Friday, January 6, 2012 at 7:36 am #

I love this color combination. One again Kirsten you did fabulous job.

57. SHERRY HART Friday, January 6, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

So dang cute I can't stand it!!!

58. Anonymous Friday, January 6, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

What is the name of this wall color? It's exactly what I'm looking for

59. truenb Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

Yes, please share the paint color of the walls! It's so subtle and is perfect with the orange and gray…

60. Lindsay RC Wilson Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 4:28 am #

Love the room. I know that monitors differ, but how is the orange color, and how much is it enhanced? The fox pillow looks like a really bold orange, but on Etsy, they say burnt orange. Did you have it custom? Also, is there any way to include brands on the Alice Lane items, sine Alice Lane is the retailer not the brand? I noticed some Jonathan Adler items (bookends, turtle box), and since I don't live near Alice Lane, I would be curious if I could find the items elsewhere.

61. Simply EC Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

I want to echo the commenters that are asking the paint color and brand, what is it? It looks like JUST the color I've been looking for!

62. tiffany jewellery Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 6:31 am #

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read. I will certainly be back.

63. Denise Briant Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

I love this room, it is simple calming yet so fun at the same time! Great design!

Denise Briant
    Design Savvy of NJ.blogspot.com

64. tricia @ mash-up chic Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

AMAZING job, just beautiful! You're so talented.

65. SC Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

Where is the Mighty Quinn Art work from?

Thanks!

• jen Friday, January 13, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

I'd love to know too, please!

• Anonymous Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

I also would like to know 🙂

66. Adry Bonet Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

Beautiful Transformation! Love the color of the walls; very calming.

67. Jayson B.Fox Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 1:24 am #

What i do not realize is in reality how you are no longer really much more well-liked than you may be now. You are very intelligent. You realize therefore considerably when it comes to this subject, made me individually consider it from numerous varied angles. Its like men and women aren't involved except it is something to do with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs great. Always care for it up!
    ACDelco 2SX43CH Battery Cable

• Anonymous Friday, October 5, 2012 at 4:58 am #

Wow dude…. Your comment not very much sense make!!

68. joandita centika Saturday, June 16, 2012 at 2:52 am #

man! i love love love your work!

69. Anonymous Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 11:35 am #

Why can't the designer share the wall color???

70. AviLynn Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

Inquiring minds would love to know???

• Kirsten Krason Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

Hi! I have actually had many questions about the wall color of this room and unfortunately I don't have it. The client had it custom mixed and can't remember the formula. So sorry!