The Story of a Room: A Change of Plans

If you are just tuning in check out the intro to this series here

Since we already had the majority of the fabric and furniture we decided to start with the rug.  My client and I went back and forth with rug ideas for awhile. I probably have 10 emails back and forth between her and I all with different rug combos. She felt like something in the room just wasn’t right and we were both hoping the rug would be the piece to tie it all together.

We talked about layering a hide on top of another rug which seemed to be the plan for awhile. Then my client found this rug from Williams Sonoma Home
It was really beautiful and the blues tied in the chairs perfectly.
Here is another image of it at night. I wasn’t completely sold on it but I think she was for awhile.
She also decided that the coffee table wasn’t really her favorite. She was thinking of something more simple along the lines of this. In the meantime I had fallen in love with it so she sold it to me! You may remember that from this post. It was a match made in heaven for me. I have loved it ever since.
So now with the new rug this was the new board for the room.
She had also purchased a couple of side tables from Kohls for a great deal. It was starting to come together!

Just as we thought we were making progress my client had a change of heart about her sofa. Although it was very beautiful it just wasn’t comfortable or deep enough. She and her husband got a great deal on a deep leather sofa from Alice Lane and so suddenly we had a new sofa to work with!

You can get a feel for how dark and deep it is. Here is the new board with the new sofa. As I work with clients I like to update the mood board as often as possible so we are getting a feel for the room in it’s entirety.

The new sofa brought on a new issue. We needed to lighten up this room big time! There was a lot of brown going on.

We decided to add board and batten to the walls. I sent her this picture by Lisman Studios as inspiration for the wall.

Here is a progress shot of the back wall.

It lightened up the room considerably.

At this point we had a new sofa, we needed a new coffee table and just when we thought we had the room and color scheme figured out my client had a revelation.

This room just wasn’t going in the direction she wanted. She felt like something wasn’t quite right.

She really wanted more green and more white and in her own words this is how she wanted the room to feel, clean, classic, comfortable, light, with some crusty vintage and FUN thrown in there”. So we set out to come up with an entirely new design plan…

Stay tuned tomorrow for The Story of a Room: The Room Reinvented.

, , , , ,

12 Responses to The Story of a Room: A Change of Plans

1. Angeline Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Thanks for sharing The Story of A Room – I completely relate to how the plan changes (and I'm minus the professional help!) 🙂

2. Cathy Wall Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

This is a fabulous series and oh so true for both designer rooms and DIY rooms. I think the "evolution" is what makes for great end results, but you have to remain flexible! Can't wait to see how this one comes together.
    Cathy

3. SHERRY HART Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

How many times has this happened to me???? It takes a lot of patience to be a designer. I can not wait to see the final room 🙂

4. Julia {Pawleys Island Posh} Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

this is my new favorite series. I'm on the edge of my seat over here. This is so often how it really works!

5. Anonymous Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Where are the white slip covered chairs on the mood board? Love them!

6. Mary Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Your client sounds like me. Every time I bring something new into my living room, it changes how the room feels and the existing things don't work anymore. This is why I keep telling my husband we need to hire a professional. So I don't make anymore costly mistakes. But he won't let me. 🙁

7. The Corson Cottage Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

I'm loving this series! Can't wait to see more. I feel like I can totally relate. I have been trying to evolve & refine my look for a while, but now we are renovating & as we begin choosing all the finishes and new decor. I so want to be sure every detail is pure perfection. When our new home is done I want to be completely satisfied & know ever detail is just right.

8. Tiffany Larkin Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

Wow I feel bad. I change my mind all the time until it's what I want. This is a fun series. I hope you continue these.

9. silly6 Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

OK I'm feeling a little better about myself. This is how I feel when trying to change rooms in my home. I always feel bad for the designer. Is it just hard for you to deal with oppinionated clients that keep changing their minds? That's how I am. I try really hard not to be and feel like I'm disappointing the designer.

BTW…Do you know the name of the blue chair fabric and where she got it?

Love the post! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

10. Holly Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

I thought I recognized that coffee table! Interesting turn of events here…now I'm really curious what is going to happen. What happened to the old sofa? I really liked that one.

11. Emerson Grey Designs Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 1:25 am #

This is way too much fun! And so helpful and therapeutic for another designer to hear the "struggles" that others go through too. These are the changes that make it all worth it to see the end result and the clients smile.

• Anonymous Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

Ok, I love, love watching this room unfold. However, IMO the mirror doesn't have enough WOW factor and the rug looks old and outdated. I liked the original sofa & coffee table.