Shelves for Jett’s Room

We have finally made some progress on Jett’s big boy room. You can see his nursery here.  I want most of it to be a surprise but I’m going to share bits and pieces as we go. I have a lot of challenges in this room but one of the biggest is the lack of space. It’s really small and I don’t want it to feel visually crowded. We were in desperate need of storage for books but I was worried a bookshelf would feel too bulky. I was delighted when I came across  this blog post from Effortless Style. She mentioned some shelves she found via Freckles Chic that were clear.
The shelves are from Clear Solutions and they are really reasonably priced.
We recently got them hung in Jett’s room and I am really happy with how they look.
They make the books appear like they are just floating on the wall and for a room as tiny as Jett’s they are perfect.
On an unrelated note there is someone I had removed from this picture. But I thought you should all see what I have to deal with in this teeny tiny room.
This is “big bear” and he was a present to Jett from my sweet sweet mother-in-law from Costco. Jett is obsessed with him and unfortunately won’t let me remove him from his room. He is obviously very bulky and he drives me a little crazy. But at least we have those wonderful clear shelves to balance out Jett’s giant friend.

32 Responses to Shelves for Jett’s Room

1. Laurie Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 11:17 am #

Big bear will make the perfect "chair" to sit and read those books. Love the shelves.

2. jamie @ [kreyv] Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Love those shelves! I always try to distract Stella when we go by the big bears at Costco…so cute, but I have no room, either!

3. charmaine Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 11:49 am #

Love the shelves and great price too! Thanks for sharing!

4. Andrea Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 11:56 am #

Those shelves are perfect! Is that bear bigger than Jett?

5. Sarah Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

We have the SAME bear in the corner of our playroom- he's great for reading on!

6. Dana Frieling Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

Gotta love those mother-in-law gifts…I have some doozies to deal with too!

7. sarah Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

We have the same bear from Costco from my mother and he is huge! My daughter insists on him being on the bed, but at night she sleeps with him and it's too precious to get rid of! As soon as she stops though, he is outta there! The shelves look great! We're in the process of making a big girl room and those might do the trick! Thank you!

8. sarah, flourish design + style Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

Love the shelves..and that someone else has things in their kids rooms that drive them crazy 😉

9. amber wallace Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

I love the shelves. What a good find! We had to walk by that bear a few times with lots of whining in our cart. If my mother in law would have been there she totally would have bought it 🙂 It's sweet that he likes it so much! I am so looking forward to his room, especially with that headboard!

10. Erin Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 1:02 pm #

thanks for sharing those shelves! what a great (and cheap) solution! also, i feel emboldened in my choice of making my son a navy and white stripe quilt for his bed — i think i spy something similar for your little one? i'm redoing my son's room right now, as well — such fun, and exciting to think my choices are "on trend". love your blog – thanks for sharing!

11. Leslie Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

I love the shelves! The bear is cute, but it would totally drive me crazy too. 🙂

12. Melissa Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

Love those shelves and I have 2 of those monstrosities. One huge light pink bunny and one huge beige hippo. But like you said I can't seem to get rid of them because my kids love them too much. However, I do favor the hippo a small weee bit :0)

13. Courtney {a thoughtful place} Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

Those shelves are great. The bear is cracking me up! When we saw it at Costco I made sure my kiddo were distracted and looking the other way. We have one {not quite so large} that was given to our daughter as a baby and it still lurks in their rooms. So sweet, though. Jett will always remember his giant bear.

14. Amanda {a j cooper design} Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

We have the same bear and the same issue! Drives me nuts 🙂
    Love the clear shelves!

15. Kimberly Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

My girl has the same bear! Its about twice her size and she loves to sit on his lap. 🙂

16. Nat Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

Love the clear shelves, what a clever storage solution! You have to admit the big bear is cute but I could definitely see him being a problem when you're short on space!

17. Ali Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

Love the shelves, I've been looking for a better storage solution for books. My son also has a huge stuffed dog that doesn't stand a chance of being removed. Gotta love little boys!

18. Stephanie Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 4:09 pm #

I guess that bear is popular or we all go to Costco too much! My grandson has one too in his room. Love the how the clear shelves make the books look like the are floating, going to go check those out. Thanks for the link!

19. Designology Interiors Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

My daughter has that bear too! She named him Beefy, lol. Beefy is always in the way and seems to wander from room to room in our house.

20. Courtney Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

Those shelves are great! I'm book marking them for my daughters room. Thanks for sharing!

21. Emerson Grey Designs Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

I love the shelves…I did a book wall in my kids for the reason of lack of space too. The clear is amazing though…mental note made 😉

22. hilary w Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

We have that bear, too! From a brother-in-law. It's interesting that most people who have that bear were given it as a present from someone who does NOT HAVE KIDS! 🙂 Thankfully my kids have allowed for the bear to migrate to the playroom in the basement. I don't care about that room as much!

23. Cove and Grey Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

Love the shelves! and Big Bear 🙂

24. Carrie Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

Our "Big Bear" is "Tiny" (my daughter sleeps on him almost every night) and we love him so much that I bought the giant moose for my godson…after warning my brother "you're gonna hate me". Love the floating books.

25. Gaby [The Vault Files] Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 4:25 am #

These are amazing, bookmarking them! My son's bedroom is tiny as well so they would be perfect, thanks for sharing Kirsten!

26. Meg B Frank Interiors Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

I love the shelves! They may be the solution to one of my own projects!

27. Freckles Chick Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

THANKS SO VERY MUCH for the link love!! Those shelves are one of my favorite elements in our baby girl's nursery! They look fabulous in Jett' room!

28. Sally Jensen Interiors Monday, May 14, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

Loving these!

29. Amy Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 4:27 am #

I have a similar bear to contend with in my youngest son's room. Ironically, his name is Tiny Bear and he is my sons favorite possesion!

30. eklatt Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 2:35 am #

I think displaying books in kids rooms is so cute! I love displaying books anywhere actually! I'm a bit of a book nerd so this is perfect anywhere for anyone!

xoxo
    peacelovedecor.com

31. Jibby Calosu Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 3:05 am #

I totally agree with you. Nobody wants to have a visually crowded room so as much as possible we use organizers to keep out things in place and the room still presentable. Now, there are also different types of organizers you can use either wood, plastics or acrylics .Moreover, the choice of those materials depends on the design of your room but the business card holders is versatile one which is good for any types of rooms.

32. Nicole-Lynn Sunday, October 13, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

What size shelving did you choose if you don't mind me asking? I tried clicking the link you embedded and it's not working. I'm looking to order these for my baby girls nursery! Thanks!