Jett’s New Room!

I started planning Jett’s room months and months and months ago. I knew that we were going to be having a baby soon and that it was time to move on from the crib. The problem was that Jett seriously loved his crib and he slept great in it. He never once tried to climb out or escape. So I wasn’t really motivated to change things up when things were going so well with his current set-up. Plus his nursery was a labor of love for me.
You can read about it here and here.
I decorated it on almost no budget. I put a lot of love and work into his little nursery. But I started itching to create a space that felt a little more grown-up and it was officially time to move out of the crib!
In this post I shared the fabric that inspired it all.
I decided to make a headboard out of Schumacher’s Adras Ikat Print in Caravan.
Back in January I had Brian Maxfield from Rocky Mountain Upholstery make a custom headboard for Jett’s room.
I love how it turned out! He did an incredible job and was so great to work with. I use him for clients and projects in my home all the time and he always does a great job.
After we got the headboard I’ve been slowly working on transforming Jett’s room into a fun space for a 3 year old little boy.
Here is the result!
I fell in love with the Turning Pendant from West Elm the first time I ever saw it. I love the natural wood on the base.
I blogged about the artwork from Minted here.  It’s the Alphabet in the Round print from their new art print collection.
I love this happy print. The colors are all perfect for the room and the scale of this print is great for the large empty wall.
The headboard is for sure the “star” of the room. I love it.
The bedding is the Ronan Duvet from Serena and Lily. The sheets are the Sprout Star Sheets also from Serena and Lily.
As you’ve probably noticed from some of my other projects seen here and here I really love this goldfish pillow.
For my birthday Josh hired Noah  to trim out all our windows. It makes such a huge difference especially on a window that only has a roman shade and no drapery treatments.
I came across an etsy shop on Pinterest that makes custom ribbon trim roman shades. I love how simple and clean it is with the busy patterns on the headboard and rug.
This “I love to see the temple” print is by Plum Street Prints.
I purchased this rug from Williams Sonoma Home a long time ago and it’s still around! I still love it.
You may  remember me blogging about the clear shelves I bought here.
I am also happy to report that Big Bear has found a permanent home in the basement.
On the opposite wall from the bed I created some cloud art that I blogged about here.
To make the art feel a little more custom I painted the inside of these basic ikea frames red. The inside of the frame is actually fiberboard so it was impossible to paint. The paint just kept falling off. So I sprayed some primer on and the paint stuck like magic!
The red lamp is one of my favorites. It’s the Robert Abbey Delta Oxblood lamp
 The elephant was one I found at Toys R Us and just spray painted. The arrow artwork is also from Minted. It’s the Feathered Arrow print.
Every time I walk into this room I am happy. It’s currently my favorite room in the house. However once my nursery is finally finished Jett’s room might be in second place!

52 Responses to Jett’s New Room!

1. Emma Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 11:15 am #

Wow! This is a great room! I really love the way you use and combine colour, its a real inspiration for me! Really clever combination of DIY and personal too. You have created a wonderful little's boy sanctuary.
    Emma xo

2. jamie @ [kreyv] Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 11:47 am #

I love it! And, Jett is adorable.

3. charmaine Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 11:59 am #

The headboard looks great and I love all the colors you used! Jett is one lucky and cute boy!

4. Saudah Saleem Interiors Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Kirsten, the headboard looks AMAZING!! The cloud art is so fitting with Dad being a pilot and Jett is such a cutie too!

5. Nat Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

You did such a great jobs!! I love the headboard with the striped duvet and the alphabet art work! The lamp is such a fun element too. Jett looks like he loves it too- that smile is precious!

6. Garden design Brisbane Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

I am very inspired to see the luxury design for the rooms and how creative your are. I like your quality work very much thanks for sharing the beautiful pics of these designs with us.

Landscape contractor brisbane

7. Andrea @ Decorating Cents Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

That headboard is fabulous.

8. Kristy @ I Design Love Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

Jett's room is adorable! I love the headboard, it really is the focal point of the room. Painting the red detail in the ikea frames really gives the frame a custom feel.

XO,

Kristy

9. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

it is amazing! love how clean it feels, the bold patterns and colors- fabulous as always, friend!

10. {Hi Sugarplum!} Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

It is so bright and cheerful, and perfect for such a sweet young boy! Jett has gotten so big!!!!! Great job, you are one talented mama!

11. Jen @ RamblingRenovators Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

Such a fun room for Jett! I live your artwork choices, especially the feathered arrow. Great work , mama!

12. One bolt short of a toolbox Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

I love that headboard!!

13. Merrick Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Wow, so fantastic!! I'm working on my nursery fr my two boys right now and this gave me some great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

14. leanne Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

This is awesome! You did a great job pulling everything together, turned out great!

15. Michele @ Moonfield Lane Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

There are so many things to love about this room! That headboard is to die for. And painting the insides of those frames was a great idea. I never would have thought of that!

16. Sara {Sara's Closet} Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

Super cute and oh-so-grown up for Mr. Jett, great job!

17. Kelly | Fabulous K Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

It is truly fantastic! I love everything!!

18. Kris and Cath Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

This looks fabulous! I love your ideas here

19. McKae @ Kaes Corner Design Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

It's gorgeous! I love all the colors, and the headboard is fabulous. That would be my favorite room as well!

20. Emily Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

this looks amazing!

21. ashley rachelle Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

uh.maze.ing! you've done it again! i love children's rooms that are sophisticated but still playful. you nailed it! great work, yet again!!

22. stephanie Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

I love your baskets. I've seen you use them in other rooms. What are they called and where do you get them?

23. the tichenor family Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

His room is just darling… and rightfully so, he's QUITE a darling boy!! I love that it's such a gender neutral happy kids room. You could so easily swap out some of the art and knick knacks and have a girls room! It's just perfect. Love everything about his new room! I just pinned about every photo! Great job mama.

24. Annie @ House on Rene Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

Absolutely adorable! That headboard makes the room! Lucky little guy!

25. Christine Dovey Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

Ah it looks so fabulous! I adore the headboard – what a lucky little guy:)

26. Hyphen Interiors Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

Super cute, Kirsten! Love the headboard. What a statement.

27. amber wallace Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

It's awesome!! I love everything, especially all the attention to details. Painting the inside of that ikea frame was genius! Great job for that lucky boy!

28. Jenny @ Spry On The Wall Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

Love this room! That headboard is gorgeous and painting the inside of the Ikea frames was inspired. Great job!!

29. Cove and Grey Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

It looks so great!! What a great big boy room!

30. Ali Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

So adorable, although I wouldn't expect anything less from you! I love the bright pops of color. I've been looking at the ronan duvet for my son as well.

31. Emily Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

I love how grown-up and yet perfectly suited for a three-year-old this space is. Taking notes for when my baby boy will be ready for a big-boy room. Love your work!

32. Ansley @VivaciouslyVintage.com Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

I love that fabric! It'd be perfect for an older boy, too. My son will be getting his room redone when we transfer back to our old house in SC (2 more years!) and that fabric might make it in there…if it's still available! Love Love Love it! Pinning so I don't lose the inspiration! <3

Ansley

33. Andrea Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

Looks great! what a fun room, I love all the mix of patterns.

34. Lesley from Lamps Plus Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Kirsten, this room is stunning! I love that it's very age-appropriate while not being too "childish". You've done a fabulous job, and Jett sure looks pleased with it! (PS. the Robert Abbey Delta lamp is one of my personal favorites from Lamps Plus. I've been wanting it in Peacock for myself! The Oxblood color is a great accent in the space.)

35. Jessie Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

What an amazing room!!! I absolutely love it. As always, you've done a great job!

36. Pris Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

First time commenter, this room is fabulous! It is so perfect for a young child!! I love it!!

37. Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 12:30 am #

An incredible job!! And I love the detail of the paint inside the frames. Love it all!

38. Jenna at Homeslice Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 12:50 am #

I love it! Perfect for a three year old boy. So fun and playful. I love how you painted the inside of the ikea frames, what a great idea!!

39. JWS INTERIORS Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 1:33 am #

What a clever idea to paint the elephants. It gives the room a pop of color.

40. Anna (A Newfound Treasure) Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 1:59 am #

Jett's room looks incredible! I love everything about it! EVERYTHING.

41. * Deutscher Design * News * Tips * Tricks Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 1:59 am #

A few little virtual birdies stopped by the Etsy shop today and they all kept telling me all about "Kristen from 6th Street Designs"…and about how talented she is and how they wish their home and or rooms to look just as beautiful as hers! Well, I must say I absolutely have to agree with everything that has been said… and for me or for us… there is nothing more exciting then to see one of our items being part of such a beautiful room design 🙂

42. Laurie Jones Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

I love the way his room turned out so many great ideas I can't pick a favorite. Headboard is beautiful and so cleve to paint the frames! And Jett..well seriously those long eyelashes I'd pay good money to have mine be that long and pretty!! (:

43. Designology Interiors Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

It's perfect. That head board is amazing! I love the Ikat pattern in that colorway. It's on my wish list for our basement remodel.

44. jana bek Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

I love that your use if the Adras print- so smart and it will easily be able to transition as he gets older. So many thoughtful touches all around!!

45. dandee Friday, September 14, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

Loving this new, more big boy space, Kirsten! Especially the cute alphabet print that just so happens to have been designed by my sweet friend Lyndsay. xo.

46. Lyndsay Friday, September 14, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

So happy to see my Alphabet in the Round print! His room is darling! You did a great job.

47. Carolyn Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

I love it, Kirsten! Great idea on painting the inside of those Ribba frames…so cute!

48. gemma@thesweetestdigs Monday, September 17, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Amazing work on this, Kirsten! I ADORE that headboard.. what fun!!

I have been a long-time reader of your blog, but first time commenting. Just wanted to say that I love your work! 🙂

49. holtkamp Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

this room is just perfect!

50. leanne Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

i love it! it's so happy and fresh – i ADORE that headboard and all the artwork, what a lucky boy!

51. SD Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

Wow. I can't wait to show this blog to my husband when he comes home from work. We are in the middle of decorating our son's room. Your ideas are wonderful. Every time I decide to Design A Room, I rely on Simply Decorate for help. While I do work for them, I can honestly say they always make the whole process of redecorating very easy for me. They have great ideas, as well as an amazing room decorating page. You should take a look.

52. How2home Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Great room! I love all the bright colors in the room. So happy and cheery! Great job!