How to Decorate a Shared Boy & Girl Room

This post and series is brought to you by one of my favorite places to shop for Kids, Land of Nod
My friend Lisa is living in a two bedroom house right now. Her 3 year old boy’s room was already small to begin with so she had quite the challenge ahead of her when she found out she was pregnant with a girl! Somehow she had to tackle the task of creating a space for her baby girl and her toddler boy in a small room with a small budget!
Decorating a shared space can be very difficult. Lisa loves pink and refused to have a nursery for her baby girl without some girly elements which leads to my first tip:
1 //  Don’t be afraid to use blue and pink.
There is no reason a room for both genders needs to be gender-nuetral. Her sons’ nightstand houses toy and book storage and it also has a blue lamp with a pink “love” sign. The key is not to make one or the other the main color but use both as accent colors. You can see Lisa used green as the main color in the room with pops of pink and blue.
2 // Along with tip #1 tip #2 is: Incorporate girly elements with boyish elements. On her gallery wall she has a girly print and a print just for her Roman. They look great together and neither make the room feel too girly or too boyish.
Tip 3 // is to give each child their own “space”. While I don’t think you should draw a line down the center of the room and paint one side pink and the other side blue I do think it’s nice to give each child something of their own. In Lisa’s room she made sure Roman’s bed had a more masculine feel while Norah’s crib was definitely meant for a girl.
Don’t be afraid to use florals either! Lisa picked a great floral that had all the right colors in it for her daughter’s crib.

She made the wood sign herself and also sewed all her own bedding and window treatments to save money.
4 //  Incorporate lots of white. White is a great neutral balance for a room with lots of color. While this dresser may feel feminine a coat of white paint allows it to work with either a girl or a boy.
Lisa doesn’t have a playroom so this small room has to store most of her kids toys. This fire station is loved by both of her kids and although it feels more fit for a boy Norah can easily play with her dolls in here when she gets older.
Lisa created a room for her two kids that feels fit for a girl and also fit for a boy. She also was able to make all the changes to the room for under $500! She already had most of the furniture and what she did buy she got for free or on sale.
I often pin spaces that will work for girls or boys to my Kid’s Spaces and Products Pinterest board. Here are some rooms I’ve pinned lately that would work for both genders.
This room uses a lot of white to balance out the many colors that are going on. A boy or girl would feel happy in this room and I love how the parents incorporated a monogram over each bed to make the child feel like they have their own space in this shared room.
This room also does a terrific job of giving each child their own space. The silhouettes and monograms are a great touch!
image via The Land of Nod
No need to shy away from floral headboards as you can see from this shared space!
image via Stephmodo
Find a fabric that has blue and pink in it and take it from there. You automatically create a space for both genders by doing that.
This room could totally work for a girl and boy. The blue and bright orange make it feel a little more masculine but you see sweet girly touches as well. The lotus lamp, butterfly print and cute doll make you think a girl sleeps here as well!
image via The Land of Nod
This room works well because the two sides are identical just with different colors so it remains unique but also cohesive.
The Jenny Lind style is a classic that is sure to be around for awhile. Land of Nod now brings you the Spindle Jenny Lind bed in an array of great colors! This bed would work well for your boy or your girl! The Land of Nod also has an adorable trundle to fit snugly under your Jenny Lind bed

31 Responses to How to Decorate a Shared Boy & Girl Room

1. Sabrina Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 11:11 am #

I always wondered what I would've done if my second baby was a girl. We ended up having two boys, so we didn't have to worry about shared space for a boy and a girl in the end.
    I love the photo of the bedroom with 3 beds. The floral headboard material is the same as my curtains!! For a second I thought, Why does that material look so familiar?

2. Emily A. Clark Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 11:20 am #

Cute space she created. We have the twins together now, so this will be something to figure out once I actually start decorating. Right now, it's just two mismatched cribs and white walls 🙂

3. Beth of designPOST Interiors Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

All of these rooms are so bright and fun! I absolutely love the painted beds from Land of Nod!

4. Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

What a great way to make a room feel at home for a girl and a boy. I love the shared room we did for our two little girls. I think sharing a room is a great bonding experience.

5. Mari Paz López Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

Really nice rooms for children. What a pity my daughter is already 17!!
    Greetings from Spain!!

6. Annie Staebler Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

Great post, Kirsten! I am just starting to tackle a shared space in our house. I haven't gotten far yet, but here is where I am starting with a great fabric as my inspiration http://moondanceinteriors.blogspot.com/2013/05/designing-boygirl-shared-room.html

• Kirsten Krason Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 4:33 pm #

that fabric is really great. Love the pattern!

7. Natalie Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

Great room! My girls (a preteen and a 5yr old) share a room and have very different taste,these ideas will help in redoing their room! I love love that fabric on the floral headboard…any one know the name of it?

8. [darci @ the good life] Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

I absolutely love seeing creative ways of combining rooms (because, let's be honest – we don't all have a 4 bedroom home with a separate study & playroom… sometimes you have to improvise!). Their shared room looks great — perfect for a little boy and a little miss!! Job well done!! 🙂

9. Allison Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

Do you know the name of the fabric she used for the crib bumper? I love it! Thanks!

10. marshallhousematters.com Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 11:29 pm #

The room with the red spindle Jenny Lind bed is so eye catching. Love the colors

11. Julie M. Friday, May 24, 2013 at 12:42 am #

My two share a room. Using a neutral color like yellow or green works great to then tie in elements specific to the child. I used gray and yellow and then tied in pink/yellow for my girl and green/yellow for my boy.

12. Melissa at Raised by Wolfs Friday, May 24, 2013 at 3:18 am #

I'd also like to know what fabric she used for the crib bumper. Thanks so much!

13. the poor sophisticate Friday, May 24, 2013 at 10:11 am #

Love it all! And, I just adore your blog!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

14. jana bek Friday, May 24, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

So many fantastic ideas! Love this series!

Jana

Janabek.com

15. Tiffany Friday, May 24, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

I just posted (a few days ago) my girls' shared big girl/nursery room. It's definitely a lot easier with two of the same gender. Since my uterus is officially closed for business, I'll never know what it's like to have a boy ( insert sad face) but this post is sure to help a lot of others out. Some great tips here!

16. Joseph Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 1:39 am #

I like prints and monograms I had a situation like this 6 years ago, the Challenge was decorating a Shared Twins Room and didn´t have problems with kids likes, eventhough their though was totally different they both agreed on one idea.

look for more here http://www.discountblindshop.com/

17. muhammed waqar Sunday, June 2, 2013 at 6:18 am #

What is Lol…? Every thing you want in Lol and Troll, Now you Get all in one Network, ThatIsLol.. Lol Pictures, Lol Videos, Lol Peoples, Funny Peoples, Troll Images, troll pictures, funny pictures, Facebook pictures, facebook funny pictures, facebook lol pictures, Funny videos and Much More only Laughing out of Laughing
    thatislol.com

18. Hiba Ahmed Sunday, June 2, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

Want to Increase Website Traffic or Social Media Marketing..? Want Facebook Likes, Facebook Targeted Likes, Twitter Followers Tweets Re-Tweets and Favorites, Youtube Views Likes and Subscribes, Pinterest Followers Pins Re-Pins and Likes, Google Plus Follow and Circles, StumbleUpon Follow and Website Visitors.
    Just Contact Us on jobzcornerz@gmail.com and Skype : Jobz.Corner
    jobzcorner.com

19. Wheatpaste Art Collective Friday, June 7, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

These are so CUTE! We especially love the pillows in the Stephmodo image. We have a few additional ideas at Oopsy Daisy, Fine Art For Kids that might aid you in your search for unique kids room decor, especially shared rooms. Come to OopsyDaisy.com to see what we have for you!

20. Maria Lia Monday, July 1, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

hello. can you tell me the make of the blue metal headboard? thank you.

21. Chuckie Haggerty Monday, July 8, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

There are some great ideas on this post. Im really considering some of these for my twins. I just got the different color throw rugs from a great rugs uk website. There was a lot of colors and they were priced right. Thanks for posting!

22. Michelle P. Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

What was her paint color? I love it!

23. malikmasood elahiawan Sunday, March 9, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

Hi
    Your article about “How to Decorate a Shared Boy & Girl Room” provides sufficient amount of information about room decoration for girls. I am self-assured about my judgment that it is not home decoration if you put some costly fixtures items to your home and display them; instead it is about creating a peaceful, comfy and snug environment according to your own taste and trend. One of the most precious ideas that differentiate this article from others is appropriate “pictures”. Surely in future I’ll be in touch with you to get more information and inspiration about bedroom decorating ideas . Thanks

24. Heinz Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 12:21 am #

Lisa loves pink and refused to have a nursery for her baby girl without some … babycribsforgirls.blogspot.com

25. Leona Tuesday, December 23, 2014 at 7:17 am #

Hi to all, the blog has really the dreadful information I really enjoyed a lot.dream wall decor