Welcome to Good Design With Kids in Mind

picture via 79 Ideas

Several years ago when I did this series for the first time Jett was still really young and I already thought my home was out of control. He was in the stage where he would crawl around and make messes EVERYWHERE. I would turn a corner and every single item would be pulled out of every single cupboard. I knew I needed help and I wanted to pull advice from woman who I felt knew a thing or two about having nice homes with kids. Fast forward three years later. My furniture, pillows, floors etc appear like they have been through a war. There are dents, scrapes, scratches and nicks on everything. I feel like every surface of my home has been peed on at some point, the toys are everywhere, the  laundry is out of control, lamps have been broken, rugs have been puked on and pillows have a permanent place on the floor instead of the sofa. Sound familiar?

What I have ultimately come to realize is that our homes are not a place we try to beautify in spite of our children it’s a place we beautify because of our children. I want my house to be a place where my kids can feel safe and loved. I want it clean not because I want other mothers to be envious of my spotless home but because I want a home that feels peaceful and serene. I want to teach my children to respect nice things and to value beauty but I also want my home to be a place where they feel free to be kids and even be wild and crazy sometimes.

photo by Jylare Smith Photography

I spent time and money on my home because I spent 95% of my time here. I want it to be a place that feels happy and a place that feels like me.
I know that all of us are searching for the balance of making our homes beautiful while still enabling our kids to just be kids! I know none of us are experts and we are all just doing the best we can. So I am hoping this series feels like a big group of moms getting together and sharing advice. I know that each of us have ideas and insight we can contribute so please don’t be afraid to share. And let’s also recognize that what works for one mom might not work for another. We are all living in different circumstances with very different children. But hopefully you’ll learn a few things along the way and if nothing else maybe you’ll get inspired to try new things!
For the next two weeks we will be sharing our tips and ideas on how to keep your home beautiful while still making it work with kids. I’ve brought on an entire new crop of experts and I can’t wait to share their wisdom with you!

Land of  Nod is sponsoring this entire series and each day I’ll be spotlighting one of my favorite products from their site. Get excited because at the end of the two weeks I’ll be revealing our new playroom that I’ve been designing!  Stay tuned for that reveal, beautiful home tours, giveaways, great advice and much more!

I have also been curating a Pinterest board with all of your kids rooms! So email me your children’s spaces. I want kid’s rooms, playrooms, nurseries etc.
Email me your pictures and links to blog posts about the spaces at kirstenkrason@gmail.com!

And stay tuned for tomorrow’s post: The best solutions for toy storage!

27 Responses to Welcome to Good Design With Kids in Mind

1. Lenya Kovacevic @ 7 Year Wedding Monday, May 20, 2013 at 11:09 am #

SO excited for this series Kirsten!!!

2. I like it, I love it! Monday, May 20, 2013 at 12:51 pm #

Great series! I just emailed you both of my little girls nurseries. Can't wait for all the great tips!

3. Danyelle Monday, May 20, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

I need this so bad right now! Expecting my 3rd soon and just when I thought I had things under control my nesting instincts are taking over and over whelming me!

4. Courtney {a thoughtful place} Monday, May 20, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

Brilliant!!! Can't wait to read all of it. So excited for this series!!! Such a cute rug, too!

5. silly6 Monday, May 20, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

Love it!

I have 4 kids ages 6, 9, 11 1/2 & 14 and would love to see things that are not just for toddlers. The boys , ages 9 & 14 share a bedroom and the girls ages 6 & 11 1/2 share a bedroom. In fact, they ALL share 1 bathroom. Would you consider some posts on shared bathrooms, and teen/preteen bedrooms that are shared with younger siblings?

Thanks so much!

Can not WAIT to see your posts over the next 2 weeks.

6. Marissa Waddell Monday, May 20, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

"Our homes are not a place we try to beautify in spite of our children it's a place we beautify because of our children." Awesome, love this!

7. Marianne Brown Monday, May 20, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

Such a fun series! I need a major overhaul of my kids play space. I will be sending you photos for sure!!

8. Marianne Brown Monday, May 20, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

9. Mari Paz López Monday, May 20, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

Really nice carpet! Greetings from Spain!

10. Rogers' Family Monday, May 20, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

I'm so excited to see what you have planned!

11. Brigitte Eppley Pace Monday, May 20, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

I don't know how I found your blog in the first place, but I'm so happy I did!! You inspire me.

12. Natalie Monday, May 20, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

How fun! As a mom of 5, I am looking forward to all the tips and fun!

13. Julie Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

Yippee! I can't wait! I LOVE that Land of Nod rug – has always been a favorite of mine. I'm putting it back on my wishlist!

• Kirsten Krason Monday, May 20, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

Glad you like it Julie! It's amazing in person. The dots are actually raised which my son thinks is really cool 🙂

14. Lizzie Monday, May 20, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

Wow fun. I'm excited. Love Land of Nod.

15. Kay Kay & Savy's Mommy Monday, May 20, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

Your amazing!!! I can't wait to see all your great ideas on how to have it pretty yet functional for children, perfect series…so excited! Thanks for sharing your talent!!!

16. Kay Kay & Savy's Mommy Monday, May 20, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

17. Josh Monday, May 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

I don't often admit this, but I am really excited for this series. If I, the husband, am excited you all should be really excited. I know a bit of the sweat that went into all this and it is worth it.

18. Stephanie Lonas - Wanderlively Monday, May 20, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

So excited! Will be tuning in all week 🙂

19. jana bek Monday, May 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

Great idea!!

20. Megan @ Megity's Handmade Monday, May 20, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

Eeeeeeeek! Can't wait!

21. Carmel - Our Fifth House Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 1:15 am #

What a great series! I can so relate to everything you wrote.

22. Shelley | Crazy Wonderful Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 3:04 am #

I'm so excited for this series!!!

23. Haeley Giambalvo Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at 11:48 am #

So fun!! I love all things The Land of Nod – I can't wait to follow the series and see how your playroom turns out!

24. zahid ahmed Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 6:11 am #

What do you want in Entertainment..? Picutres, Videos, Loll Pictures, Hot Pictures, Funny Pictures, Funny Videos, Hot Videos, Entertainment Pictures, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Internet Classified Sites, Buying and Selling Classified Sites, Online Jobs, Online Marketing and all Current Affairs News updates.
    All Current Affairs in Only 1 Best Entertainment Website Network
    hotcurrentaffairs.com

25. Ethan Harry Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 6:18 am #

You completed certain reliable points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will agree with your blog.

Accredited GED Online