Jane’s Twinkle Twinkle Little Star First Birthday Party

A couple of weeks ago I threw Jane a little birthday party to celebrate her first birthday. I have had the theme in mind since June so I’ve had plenty of time to work on it. Over the summer I slowly worked on all the details hoping that the party set-up would go smoothly. Although the party was a blast the set-up was CRAZY. I mean seriously so many things kept going wrong! I had two hours to get everything ready which seemed like plenty of time but I probably should have given myself 6 hours! My friends helped me set up a shade tent but it didn’t have any coverage on the sides so we decided to attach sheets to the top. This would have worked out fine except they kept falling down. And then the slight breeze kept making the balloons go crazy and my twinkle twinkle sign fell on the table at one point almost crashing into the cake! I had also worked on getting christmas lights strung through the sign and a portion of them just didn’t light up. I think it was at that point that I turned to my friend Erin and said, “let’s just bag the whole thing and run away”.  Luckily my friends came to the rescue and we got everything set up just in the nick of the time for the party to start. We may have had sweat pouring down our faces but we were at least able to spend a good thirty minutes enjoying the party.

I wish you could have seen the craziness! Every time I throw a cute party like this I promise myself that next time I’m just going to get a cupcake with a candle and call it a day.  But I really love throwing parties so no matter how hard I try I can’t help going a little overboard sometimes… Am I the only one who feels this way??

I am really grateful to Samantha Kelly for capturing the sweet moments with the babies and Jane.

The party was during lunch time in the middle of the day and husbands were at work so I decided to make this party a special lunch for Jane’s baby friends and their mommies. The girls were seriously adorable. You could tell they got a kick out of all being together.
I made each girl a little gold crown. The crowns themselves were 75 cents each from this shop. I attached them to some black elastic headbands that I bought at Walmart. Jane’s birthday crown is from this etsy shop. I was really impressed that the babies kept their crowns on for pretty much the entire party!

Almost all of my friends have the Antilop highchair from Ikea which made it fun to have all the girls in matching high chairs!
Last month I bought some gold star wands from Oriental Trading to make little wands for each of the girls. I tied some pink ribbon to each wand that I bought at my local craft store. To personalize the wands I made little clay tags with each girl’s name on them. These were made with this mini star cookie cutter and some Sculpey clay. The technique was similar to the one I used here
For the girls I made little star peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with this cookie cutter. I also added these star toppers
For my table I added this paper star printable from Caravan Shoppe. I layered it with a burlap runner.
I made these star chips the day before the party and they turned out so cute!
I enlisted the help of my sister to make Jane’s cake. She did such a great job. The star cake topper is from this shop
The cake was delicious and Jane was sure a fan!

Jane’s shirt is from Swallow’s Return. I have been eyeing it since I wrote this post

It was really special to me to get to celebrate not just Jane but all of her little friends. It’s crazy but a few of my best friends and I all had baby girls around the same time! I feel like as moms we’ve been through so much together since our babies were born. This was a time to not only celebrate Jane but all of us!

We got to spend some time eating lunch and enjoying each other until the babies got restless and a little crazy.

For the twinkle twinkle poster I used a huge piece of foam core and just wrote out twinkle twinkle little star with a white out pen. Then I drilled holes in the poster and inserted christmas lights to create a twinkling effect.
For their party favor I gave each baby a little star bow clip from Forever 21.
This party was a blast to plan and even though it was a little hectic to put together I’m glad we were able to pull it off! My little Jane is an amazing amazing blessing in our lives and I seriously can’t believe it’s already been a year since that beautiful day that she was born
Thanks again to Samantha Kelly for all of these photographs!

46 Responses to Jane’s Twinkle Twinkle Little Star First Birthday Party

1. Melissa Marie Head Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 12:59 pm #

That party is so perfect. Adorable with all those cutie little girls

2. E Hayes Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

Despite the trouble with setting up, it turned out gorgeous! Love all the babies lined up in matching highchairs 🙂

3. Brandi Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

So sweet and adorable, an absolutely darling party! All the photos are amazing to look at!

4. Marissa Waddell Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

You are SO good at parties. I'll spare you the part where I request (again) that you plan all my parties for me. 😉 Happy Birthday to Jane!!

5. Beth B Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

so so gorgeous !! What a cutie she is !

6. High-Heeled Foot in the door Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

What a beautiful party! I love everything about it. Especially all the little ladies lined up in their matching high chairs and then their sweet mommas on the opposite side. Great job!

xo,
    C

7. deesha Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

She is beyond adorable! What a cute idea for a party! All of the party hiccups just make it so you have more colorful memories later! 🙂

8. Emily Curfew Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

you are a creative genius! the most adorable party. and little jane's blouse is so stinkin cute on her. happy birthday.

9. Courtney {a thoughtful place} Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

How adorable. Couldn't be any sweeter. You amaze me, my friend. And such gorgeous photos!!!

10. Natalie Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

Such an adorable party. Love all the little details, the crowns, the bows, so cute!

11. Suzanne Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 4:43 pm #

Darling party! I live in Orem and I'm looking for a huge piece of foam core. Where did you buy yours?

12. Brittany Cramer Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

Gorgeous photos! The party looks amazing, something I'd love for myself even haha. That last pic of you and Jane is adorable, a framer!

13. holtkamp Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

amazing party!

14. Brittany Reynolds Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 6:24 pm #

This is so gorgeous, what a lucky little girl you have! So precious, but at the same time elegant and chic!

Britt

15. Jacquelinne Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

That party turned out so beautiful! And holy cow, you two are both gorgeous!!

16. Melissa Reynolds Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 7:59 pm #

Holy cow, what a darling party!! Everything is so perfect…and I'm like you, I love to plan fun parties, but I swear it stresses me out more and more every time! Good Job!!

xo
    melissareystyles.blogspot.com

17. Deanna at Mirabelle Creations Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 8:25 pm #

So sweet! I love every sweet little detail! And, those babies in the crowns are adorable!

18. julie Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

Stop it! I love this party! Wish my baby wasn't getting ready to turn 8!! I need to copy this;) adorable!!!

19. julie Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 9:00 pm #

20. Park Interiors Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

I am dying over these pictures! What a perfect theme and you are SO talented! Miss you

21. Erin Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 10:16 pm #

I love this!! All of your decorations are so cute. Also, where is your top from?

22. Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

Oh my goodness, this is SOOOO much fun!!! I love the colors, love the details, and all with your buddies, too! I'm also a BIG fan of that last shot of your and your little one. She needs it framed in her room;)

23. Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

Ok, now I need to know–did you all just happen to have that white ikea highchair?!? All girls, too! And some of your friends look familiar, would I know them from blogland?

• Anonymous Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 1:10 am #

All but one of us had the highchair and we borrowed one for the other baby! None of my friends are bloggers but you probably recognize them from my instagram feed 🙂

24. marshallhousematters.com Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 12:18 am #

Wow! I saw some of the preview pics on your blog earlier but that party setup is amazing. Regarding the work involved, I feel the same way – I get excited about the idea of the party then it turns out to be a ton of work and I regret getting myself into such a situation. But it always works out in the end – and it looks like yours certainly did. Your daughter is lucky to have such a talented mama!

25. Style Sisters Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 1:57 am #

This is sooooo cute!! All the details are so darling! I love the color pallet and the pink ruffle cake! The little crowns are so cute! I see you used the little white footed cake stand I made for our gift exchange last year…so dang cute for this!! You are so talented!! I am going to pin away on all this.
    Karin

26. Allison Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 2:09 am #

Jane is adorable!! What a cute party Kirsten. Very sweet! You could be a party planner. The photo of all of the babies in their high chairs is precious.

27. Tricia | 724SouthHouse Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 2:45 am #

So beautiful! I think I love her outfit the most 🙂

28. katie m Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 3:16 am #

Kirsten, this is the 1-year old party of the decade. It's beyond adorable. And in fact, when my mom makes it to her 60th birthday in a year and a half, I seriously might use this idea as inspiration (on a more, grown-up level, of course). It is creative, appropriate, appealing, beautiful, and unique. Major plaudits. So fun. Well done.

xo

29. Freckles Chick Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

Beautiful Jane, beautiful mama! Such a sweet, inspiring party. Brava, gal! Pinterest is going crazy with this, I'm sure. Happy 1 yr, Jane!!!
    xoxo

30. Jennifer Jones Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

Well if that just isn't the sweetest party ever! Beautiful photos and such a special day! Everything turned out magical!

31. Mrs. DeVore Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

Such a sweet little party and how wonderful that she has so many little friends to grow up with!

32. Candace Lish Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 5:21 pm #

You totally nailed it!! Well done. And that last picture of you two is beautiful. Happy Birthday Jane!

33. Ali Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

Kirsten, this is absolutely amazing. Love all the details and thought put into it. You are a creative genius!

34. Natalie Gonzalez Friday, September 13, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

This is just too precious. Everything was absolutely lovely, and I bet it was a day for the books. 🙂 Well done, girl!

35. what i heart Saturday, September 14, 2013 at 1:31 pm #

I would LOVE to know from your sister how making that cake was? I'm about to attempt the same one, in rainbow colors, for my daughter's hedgehog birthday party next weekend!

36. allegra Sunday, September 15, 2013 at 2:15 am #

This is SO SO cute!! I've been so out of the blog community and glad to catch up on blogs today– seriously she is so gorgeous. I can't believe she's one! How fun for her to have so many little girlfriends her same age!! You are amazing- loved every cute detail of the party. So perfect!

37. Melissa Hesseling Monday, October 21, 2013 at 2:33 am #

Wow!! I am loving this theme and the color palette!! PERFECTION!!

38. Melissa Pedroza Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at 2:39 am #

I love everything about this party! Where did you find a foam core board that big??

39. Goldie girl Monday, June 9, 2014 at 3:38 pm #

Wish you knew about us…Perhaps in the future? We'd love to "Glimmer", with you. Please check out our website at http://www.glimmersinc.com

40. Andrea Leask Monday, July 21, 2014 at 2:28 pm #

where did you get her outfit from?! LOVE IT!

41. Kristina Friday, June 24, 2016 at 12:39 pm #

The party is absolutely adorable. Do you know if the crown vendors no longer exist, or happen to have any more information about them, due to broken links on the blog?

• Kirsten Krason Friday, July 1, 2016 at 1:51 pm #

We don’t know. Sorry!

42. Sarah Boyd Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 7:20 pm #

SO SO CUTE!!! Where did you get the backdrop that says twinkle twinkle little star or did you make it?

• Kirsten Krason Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 11:01 am #

Yes I did make it! I used a huge piece of foam core and just wrote out twinkle twinkle little star with a white out pen. Then I drilled holes in the poster and inserted christmas lights to create a twinkling effect.