14 Unique Ideas for Window Treatments

I love thinking of unique ways to upgrade something basic and turn it into something custom and special. When it comes to window treatments a small customization can go a long way. I’ve rounded up some of my favorite ideas to take your window treatments to a whole new level!

1. Another take on the striped curtain is to do it with smaller stripes. I really like how these stripes are spaced far apart and kept really thin. It seems like you could create this look with some Ikea curtains and ribbon.

2. I love the way this roman shade is trimmed. It’s a fun idea to keep the valance and the trim the same.
Miles Redd for House Beautiful
3. I think adding a color block to plain white curtains makes them extra dramatic!
image via Samantha Pynn
4. This idea takes the bottom banded color look to a new level! By adding a thinner separate band it breaks up the bottom color and the white curtains.
5. I am so blow away by this scalloped detail in a contrasting color on these window treatments. If you look closer you can see the scallop was even trimmed out in another color. I love attention to detail like that.

Photo by Laurey W. Glenn for Southern Living magazine
6. Who doesn’t love a good grey key trim! You could add it in any color to a pair of white curtains and get a luxe look!
7. This curtain concept is really interesting. It looks like they did a sheer up top and maybe a silk for the rest.
8. I think we’ve seen that you can add color stripes any which way on curtains and it always looks fabulous! I like this idea of adding the bands of color to the top and bottom.
image via signed by Tina
9. I think the unique shape of these roman shades makes them so beautiful and I love how they are trimmed out in red to add even more drama!
image via SF Gate
10. Although you don’t often see the lining I think it’s a fun idea to add a bright color for a little wow factor.

11. We’ve seen stripes all the way up a panel but this take on the striped curtain is really unique! What a good idea to just do stripes on the lower half of the panels.

image via Lonny
12. A great pattern can really be enhanced by a dramatic color. The red on these shades totally pops off of that floral fabric.

photo via Bijou and Boheme

13. I thought the idea of adding a ruffle hem to the bottom of a curtain panel was genius! How sweet would this be in a nursery.

14. It looks like these sophisticated roman shades got a little dose of fun with a pink ribbon fringe.
Fore more great window treatment ideas visit my Pinterest page.

19 Responses to 14 Unique Ideas for Window Treatments

1. A dream house for Trish Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 11:53 am #

All beautiful ideas, some of them are great fixes for curtains that are a touch to short.
    Lovely post!!!

2. -kate Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm #

I have been enjoying your blog for some time now, but this is my first comment. The inspiration images are divine. I think I pinned nearly all of them to my window treatments board. I can't wait to employ some (okay, lots) of these ideas. Thank you!

3. Layne @ The Room Journal Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 1:03 pm #

What great ideas! Those coral color block curtains are beautiful.

4. Beth of designPOST Interiors Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 3:09 pm #

I lined panels in a contrasting color for a client project and they were my favorite part of the room (her's too!)

5. Natalie Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 5:04 pm #

This is perfect! I am in the middle of deciding window treatments. What are your thoughts on a faux roman shade above a window with plantation shutters?

6. Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 5:28 pm #

They are all so gorgeous! I'm putting together some Ikea curtains with ribbon right now. Hopefully mine look half as good as #1. And I'm super excited about the lucite rods I made to hang them on!! Woohooo! 🙂

7. The Hartland Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 9:31 pm #

Love 13 for a nursery! genius~!

8. Ines Pereira Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 8:31 am #

Thank you for this posts. You have chosen a lot of good examples! 😉
    Really great.
    Ines
    perfect-home.blogspot.pt

9. Mia Weber Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 2:36 pm #

It's amazing how some piece of cloth hung around the windows can change the whole room. We love your curtains ideas.
    Greetings,
    Domestic Cleaners London

10. MarvelousMrsP Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 5:00 pm #

These are great examples. I am totally loving the bright lining on #10.

What about a spin-off post to this one for window treatments in the kitchen? I have one of those big ugly sliding glass doors and a little square window above the sink, and I'm stuck at ideas for those besides valances.

11. Anne Leah Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 3:01 am #

Thanks for the information. Before, I do not have window shades at home but when a strong wind hit our window and scattered my belongings, that's when I realized how important it is especially when you like to open your windows to avoid a gloomy atmosphere inside.

12. Malik Aswad Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 6:43 am #

Beautiful room! I love the paint color and would love to know what it is. The sofas are wonderful- comfortable I assume? http://www.luluhypermarket.com/GoodLife/lamp-it-up-zzrod31.html

13. Laney Reusch / Reusch Interior Design Monday, January 13, 2014 at 8:17 pm #

Great round up! I had to do some pinning!!!! 🙂

14. Greg Arnett Thursday, June 12, 2014 at 5:56 pm #

Those are really enchanting! Curtains are truly good in enhancing the beauty of every room, by making them look both inviting and relaxing. Anyway, have you tried experimenting with blinds and shutters?

Greg Arnett

15. Eitel Sunday, October 26, 2014 at 3:02 pm #

When it comes to window treatments a small customization can go a … kitchentreatments.blogspot.com

16. Brian Conley Friday, January 2, 2015 at 10:16 am #

Nice Information… Great work done by you guys…. There are many different materials and fiber combinations that you can used for a window shades but your should choose materials that are fade resistant, especially if the room gets a lot of light, which is common in south facing rooms.

17. Steve Walton Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 9:34 pm #

Customizing house accessories is a special way to personalize the experience of being a homeowner. I think it's great that you're taking the time to tweak with the decorations of your home. In any case, I love the design concept for curtain number seven. It's simple, but very chic. Thanks for sharing those unique ideas, Kirsten! All the best to you! 🙂

Steve Walton @ Blinds Shop Online

18. scot Friday, April 24, 2015 at 9:10 am #

Your work is showing your willingness with work. Keep it and keep share this good work with us because great work is the need of every one.

Window Custom Shades

19. HealthTips Monday, May 11, 2015 at 2:22 am #

Good items and pretty decor, thank for sharing!
    See also more and compare for best prices deals for Window Treatments here!