The Re-Decorating Disease

Am I the only one who gets the redecorating disease every now and then? I am seriously could use some medication. I love my house but no matter how great it looks I am always tinkering and changing things.
Although I am still in the middle of my office makevoer I started to get the itch to change some things in my Living Room.
I really love this room and I am still amazed how good it looks for the budget I had to do it. Almost everything in this room came from Ikea or Craigslist.  But slowly things in the room have been bothering me. And it’s funny how one change creates a domino effect and suddenly you feel like everything needs to change!
Take our rug for example. What I love about a flat weave rug is that we were able to flip it over when it got too stained but then our rug suffered the wrath of our sick dog one day and has never been the same. I even had it professionally cleaned but the stains are still there.  So for the past few months I’ve been on the hunt for a new rug. Ultimately I decided I wanted something solid and textured. Some of the rugs I debated between were these:
I have used the herringbone rug before and I love it! It was originally my first choice but the jute boucle ivory rug was a little cheaper and I decided it would probably give me the same look that I wanted. I am really looking for something lighter so it doesn’t blend in with my sofa.  I’m a little worried about it being TOO light but I think it will be okay. We always take off our shoes and are pretty careful in this room. But we’ll see how it goes…
I also picked up some new ikat pillows in one of my favorite Quadrille fabrics.  But they kinda clashed with my ikat curtains so…
The curtains had to go. I brought down the curtains from my bedroom to see if I liked the look.
I really loved my ikat ones but in general I just want things much cleaner feeling. Maybe it’s the craziness of kids and life that is making me crave simple simple simple.
I really wanted to recover my sofa in a navy or teal velvet but that wasn’t in the budget so imagine my happiness when I saw the Everett loveseat on sale for $350 at a local outlet store!
So I sold the old leather one that we had.
I actually really loved this loveseat but I feel like the new velvet one is much more special and I love what the velvet adds to the room.
Now lest you think this room is feeling a little boring and too clean and simple I will have some wow factor going on. Don’t you fear.
I bought these chairs for $100 each at a local outlet store and I plan on having them recovered in a a killer floral.
The florals I’m considering are:
I’m going to the showroom today actually to look for more options too!
I also bought a new mirror after using our little Ikea one for years I wanted something a little bigger.
Am I only one who gets the re-decorating bug every now and then? Is there a cure? I’m sure my husband would pay someone good money to come up with one!

30 Responses to The Re-Decorating Disease

1. Julia Konya Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 12:24 pm #

Can't wait to see all the changes. I'm so sad about your rug because I love it so much. Did you ever try Nature's Miracle (pet store) to clean the dog stains? I even use it for when my kids are sick. It's amazing stuff and I use it for everything.

2. Home change Home Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

I have the some disease! No matters how nice it is, it will always come new ideas on the way… and yes, if you change something.. the rest will follow… but the feeling is so good!!
    Go on, so we can see your new ideas, that I love!
    Teresa

3. His & Hers and the Dogs' Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 1:28 pm #

I am currently fighting the re-decorating bug! I blame Pinterest! Love all the changes you've made and I'm obsessing over the deal you got on the velvet love seat. So jealous!

4. Morgan S. Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 1:37 pm #

I have the redecorating bug ALL THE TIME! It sucks! I feel like I can never be content! LOL. I love the new sofa, so nice!

5. Monograms Mud Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 1:43 pm #

Yep right there with you on both redecorating and needing a calm space. Life with 3 little ones hands me all the energy I need 🙂

Oh and I am constantly shopping my house and rearranging furniture/drapery/accessories. Even my cleaning lady comments on it!

6. Moira C Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

Oh I get that bug too! We're moving this summer though so I'm fighting it for as long as I can…it drives my husband bonkers I think 🙂 And I love that blue velvet loveseat! Can't wait to see the recovered chairs too!

7. pam {simple details} Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 2:36 pm #

Happy to see I'm in good company with my little addiction! What great finds, Kirsten – those chairs are going to be amazing!!

8. Erica M. Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 3:34 pm #

I get like that to! Your a designer so your house will never be completely done. There will always be something to change and mix up.

9. Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 4:01 pm #

I like the direction you're headed! That velvet loveseat is so pretty and your new chairs will steal the show! My friends always say "Surely you're finished with your house…you're running out of rooms to re-do." But nope! Then it's time to start over! 🙂

10. Danielle Oakey Interiors Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 4:10 pm #

Story of my life. I get the itch twice each year! It's looking so good and I am super jealous of your velvet settee!!!

11. Melissa at HOUSEography Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

There should be some sort of group therapy for all of our husbands!

12. Lisa McKell Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

I have the same bug. We may have sold our couches last night cause I wanted a change.

13. Natalie Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 5:02 pm #

That darn bug must be contagious! 😉 I suffer from it as well. We moved 3 months ago and I am working on our family room as well. I just finished hanging gray linen drapes. Now I need a punch of color in pillows!

14. designstiles Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 5:19 pm #

Ohmygawd yes! When my friends come over they usually ask, what'd you move this time? It's mostly just accessories or light furniture but recently I want a complete overhaul. I even threw out the idea of moving and selling everything to start fresh.

15. Courtney {a thoughtful place} Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

Score on the velvet my dear! And the floral chairs will have an awesome impact. Are you kidding? I cost myself so much money with that itch. It's awful. But I've come to accept that is who we are, right?! We constantly see rooms and slices of rooms in a unique perspective. I can stare at one corner for hours. Excited to see your changes.

16. Lindsey Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 6:38 pm #

I get the bug all the time! In fact, I recently ordered the Serena and Lily Honeycomb Hemp 8×10 rug only to find that it's a bit too big for my space. Looking for something smaller, but if anyone is interested in buying the S&L one, shoot me an email. Photo is in the link. 8×10 brand spankin new in packaging. $300. lindspete@hotmail.com

17. stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 9:04 pm #

I share this addiction with you whole heartedly – its the nature of the biz! xo

18. badonkatonks Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 11:44 pm #

I was literally just trying to figure out what to do with my living room because I am sick of everything when I decided to check your blog for inspiration. How funny that this is your newest post! I'm gonna take that as a sign that I just need to redo everything and husband will have to deal with it. 😉 And I am in LOVE with that loveseat! What local outlet store did you score that from?

19. Gwen, The Makerista Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 2:38 am #

I have that bug all too often. And then I face what I like to call the design domino effect: one thing leads to another, leads to another… 🙂

20. Caroline Dilbeck Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

The Re-decorating disease must be going around – I've got it too! There is no guilt in shuffling things in and out when you know you can get your money back so easily with a quick CList re-sale. One of my favorite things! Room looks great and I can't wait to see how the floral turns out on the chairs. Are you re-upholstering them yourself? I have never tried this but always curious (and in awe!) of the ones who do!

SylvanParkLife.Blogspot.Com

21. Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 3:09 pm #

Oh, I have been a serial redecorator since I was a teenager! That new velvet sofa is gorgeous and I think floral chairs are going to be fabulous with the other solids!

22. Joi Friday, January 24, 2014 at 3:05 am #

I've had it forever! I like to tell David that decorating is my hobby and you gotta indulge and enjoy your hobby, right? 🙂

23. Grandma Honey Friday, January 24, 2014 at 6:13 am #

Does this mean florals are coming back? I hope, I hope!

24. lemondropdreams Friday, January 24, 2014 at 1:50 pm #

I suffer from the same ailment…my problem is it takes me so long to decide on something that before I've gotten a room done I'm ready to change it!! Love the velvet loveseat!

25. Kandlestix:Home Design Saturday, January 25, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

I get the urge for change far too often. Shopping last week my husband suggested it would be a good idea to have a exchange program so that I could "exchange" our furniture instead of me always buying new pieces.

I am glad that I am not the only one that gets bored with their spaces, no matter how lovey they are.

26. House Envy Sunday, January 26, 2014 at 9:12 pm #

Your home was stunning before, but I also understand your "disease"! The changes are looking great and can't wait to see how all the changes come together.

27. Caroline Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 4:44 am #

Soooo… are you selling your ikat curtains?? I would buy them in a heart beat!

28. Yolande Leake Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 3:32 pm #

These are great plans for redecorating your place, Kirsten! Your house is really superb, and I expect it'll be more beautiful after your projects. Keep us updated with the finished project, ok? Good luck! 🙂

Yolande Leake @ Co-Construct

29. Jenae Friday, January 31, 2014 at 4:17 pm #

I think it's good to get a fresh start from time to time! That couch is amazing! What outlet store did you find it at?

30. Shavonda@AHomeFullOfColor Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 11:07 pm #

I affectionately call it rearrangitis and it plagues me at least twice a year! I grew up a military brat and then joined the military out of high school, so my surroundings changed all the time. Now that Ive settled and am in one place its hard to be surrounded by the same things constantly. I crave change, so when rearrangitis hits I just go with it and happily allow myself to create a "different" environment:) Love all the changes you made:)