The One Room Challenge – Week One

photo by Jylare Smith Photography
If you are a design blog junkie like myself then you have surely heard of Calling it Home’s One Room Challenge.  I’ve long been an admirer of the beautiful rooms the participants come up with and I’m SUPER excited today to announce that I’ll be participating this time around.  To be honest my house is pretty much done.  I’ve decorated every corner and cranny that I can find.  So as I contemplated which room could use a refresh I decided that Jane’s room would be perfect.  Of course I love this room so much.  But she is ready to be out of her crib which means I need a bed and getting a bed means it’s time to make a few changes.  I feel like Jane’s nursery was so sweet and perfect for a little baby but I want her big girl room to feel playful and fun and colorful!
Here’s the room in it’s current state.
So let’s talk about the space.  It’s itty bitty.  Like some people’s closets are bigger.  I measured it out every which way and the only way to fit a twin bed in here is to push it against the window.  I don’t like this idea because it will cover up a lot of the natural light as well as take up half the room.  So really I feel like the only option is to do a toddler bed where the crib is now. That would take up the same amount of space as the crib which fits perfectly.
I really like the rug but now that I’ve lived with it for awhile I feel it’s too small for the space so I want to switch it out for something bigger.  The paint color is pretty but I want to liven it up with a color. I’m thinking a pretty aqua.
I also want to switch out the pretty art for a mirror to make the room feel bigger.
So here is to the to-do list for the next six weeks!
1. Find toddler bed with new bedding
2. Large scale art for bed wall
3. Replace roman shade
4. Find new rug
5. Replace current art with a mirror
6. Paint walls
7. Get a new light fixture
8. Look for cute accessories for the dresser
I’ll be sharing more details but for now here is a little peak at the direction I have planned for the space:
Stay tuned each week as I start to transform her room! Here are all the participants so you can follow along with everyone:
Trademarked by Calling it Home

, ,

21 Responses to The One Room Challenge – Week One

1. autumn Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 2:13 pm #

what? jane is ready to be out of a crib?? crazy! I'm so excited to see the changes in this room. yes, it may be small, but you are going to make this room AMAZING! can't wait to follow along with your progress.

2. Mary Ann Pickett Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 2:40 pm #

Love all the happy colors!!!

3. Vanessa@decor happy Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 2:44 pm #

This is going to look great! Love the coral and the teal rug.

4. Linda {Calling it Home} Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 3:41 pm #

Aww, I love a girls room. This is so lovely. Looking forward to watching this.

5. Vel Criste Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 4:02 pm #

I'm just about to do a nursery for my little one so I'm excited to see how you'll transition this room, because as you know, time flies, and in a few months I would be taking pointers from you! So excited to follow along!

6. Vel Criste Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 4:02 pm #

7. pam {simple details} Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 4:24 pm #

I'm so sad to see that precious nursery go, it was a favorite! I know you'll create a big girl room for her that will be just as charming! 🙂

• Kirsten Krason Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 4:31 pm #

I know me too Pam! 🙁 Why must they grow up!!

8. lori Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 5:03 pm #

Excited to see what you do with this room 🙂 I remember when this was your office!!!
    Lori

9. Kimberly Duran Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 5:07 pm #

Excited to see the progress of this room! I love the palette, it's so fresh and pretty for a little girl! So nice to be working alongside you for this Challenge and follow your progress! xx

10. sarah m. dorsey Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 5:11 pm #

Can't wait to follow along!! 🙂

11. stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 6:29 pm #

I ALWAYS LOVE what you do and follow your blog all the time! This room is soooo awesome as is!!! To see you improve it will be amazing. Can't wait to see the reveal!

12. Carrie @ Cosy Carolina Interiors Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 6:29 pm #

That rug in your new plan is to die for! I'm excited to follow along!

13. Beth of designPOST Interiors Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 12:29 am #

I was so excited to see your name in the line up!

• Kirsten Krason Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 2:19 am #

Thanks Beth! I hope I don't disappoint 😉

14. Jennifer Jones Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 5:31 am #

This is going to be so fun! Love where you are heading. Jane's nursery has always been one of my favorites, I can't wait to see how you transition this beautiful space.

15. SHERRY HART Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 11:58 am #

Kirsten….hate to see this pretty room go….but excited to see those plans come to life!

16. Holly Phillips @ The English Room Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 1:19 pm #

Cannot wait to see it come together. I am sure it will be fabulous with that great plan in place. LOVE the cockatoo! Let the games begin!

17. Claire Brody Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 11:34 pm #

Precious room to start with so I know the result will be AMAZING!! Can't wait to follow along!

18. Krystine @ www.KrystineEdwards.com Friday, April 3, 2015 at 5:46 pm #

I cannot wait to see this room, it's going to be fabulous! Good luck!

19. {Hi Sugarplum!} Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:52 pm #

this is going to be so good…I adore girl's rooms, and can't wait to see what you do!